Chaperone, Mentor, Coach!
Together, we are working to take an active role in promoting, organizing, and conducting Ultimate (events , clinics, programs) that seek to develop a high level of community competition governed by personal responsibility and integrity among the youth of Texas.
As we strive to meet this goal, Texas, Ultimate! commits to:
- Deliver instruction regarding skills, etiquette, and strategy while actively encouraging new players.
- Provide certified training to captains, coaches, sponsors, and peer mentors.
- Invest players with pride and responsibility for the success of Ultimate in our communities across the Lone Star State.
After School Programming (AISD, APARD, BGC)
We host staff training sessions twice each year.
Columbus Day in the Fall semester, and
MLK Day in the Spring semester.
Every applicant should report to the training session with a completed Application and be willing to consent to a criminal background check. Upon assignment of a position on a campus program, Coaches and Mentors will sign a contract which outlines program responsibility and time commitment. Violation of that contract results in forfeit of stipend, which is paid in a lump sum, upon successful completion of the contract.
- All Coaches must be at least 18 years of age , and are required to attend a three-hour training session and complete a Coaches Application.
- Coaches who are 21 years of age on AISD Campuses are required to hold current CPR certification. We utilize a group of off-duty firefighters to earn CPR certifications. Here is list of available course times and locations and a link to the details of registration through CPR Resources.
Texas, Ultimate! will reimburse coaches for the cost of CPR training upon filing the certification record with AISD. Texas, Ultimate! will also reimburse coaches and mentors the cost of the background check, should we employ your services.
Austin Parks and Recreation (APARD)
In addition to employing coaches who are 18 years of age or older, we will employ Peer Mentors in our 2019 summer program. We have been approved for 4 weeks of programming for the 2019 summer, the dates are on the APPLICATION. Mentors will be scheduled on a first come, first served basis, and paid a stipend based on hours of service and grade completed in school.
Applicants must be at least 11 years of age, and should complete the APARD application. We hope that you will treat this job as a responsibility, as you have the skills to present out sport and spirit to kids all over our city, and beyond!
We will present instruction in 90-minute hour segments, two days a week (MW or TTH) at each contracted Recreation Center. There are 22 Recreation Centers in the City of Austin Parks and Recreation department!
We will designate an APARD Tournament Day. We will organize Teams of FIVE, following our Fabulous Fives format. One mentor will be assigned as a player/coach to each team. We will utilize an indoor venue to avoid the heat of the day.
Mandatory Mentor Training June 3 -7 , 2019
Mentors may work one or two days a week all summer; or, apply to work in one-week sessions. Mentors may apply for all weeks or only one! Mentors should complete the APARD application, to provide personal information and communicate availability.
We require 20 hours of volunteer service before mentors are eligible for stipend. 18 hours can be earned through the June 3- 7 training session, and your final 2 hours will be in an actual teaching experience. You can earn volunteer hours during the school year by serving our organization as a peer mentor at our Events. We host two tournament days a year and in the spring, we volunteer to present our Sport and Spirit to Schools on special family days and field day events. Dates will be posted as they are contracted.
Columbus Day October 14, 2019
Fabulous Fives Tournament Day December 7, 2019
March 30 Fabulous Fives Tournament Day (9am-2pm)
May 1st Dobie Middle School (5:00 – 7:00)
May 8th Allison Elementary School (3:30-5:30)
May 17 Baranoff Elementary School (8am-11:00; 11:30- 2:30pm)
May 17 Travis Heights Elementary School (7am-10am; 10am-1pm)
High School TEAM CAPTAINS
We host a STATE WIDE annual Event in College Station for Middle School and High School Teams/Clubs. Registration for that event is on our LONE STAR STATE page.
- Mentors are Volunteer Captains, usually high school students or college students from school or community clubs. We encourage and invite everyone who is willing to volunteer to help lead and organize an Ultimate Spirit Organization. Click here to see the Club Application.
- In Austin, we can validate hours of community service for AISD students. For those who volunteer hours at our events, that time serves your life as community service hours, which directly applies to graduation requirements in Texas High Schools. If you are serving as a Captain striving to develop a team/club anywhere in the state of Texas, I am sure that we can work with your community service program and get your hours validated.
- UltimateSpirit Team Captains are responsible to submit a timely bid to the LONE STAR STATE ULTIMATE TOURNAMENT and should complete and file a Mentor Application to volunteer for the Ultimate Spirit Organization.